Sunday, June 21, 2009

It's funny, he was here just yesterday

George Carlin joked that he wanted people to feel that way about how he died.

I ran into a pharmacist I used to work with at Winkler while I was picking up some prescriptions. She looked a lot different, I commented on how I liked how she had cut her hair short.

She said, "Oh no, I didn't cut it, I have lymphoma."

I haven't seen her in over a year, and the whole thing just struck me really hard. I'm bumping into her at a drugstore and here she is talking about her lymphoma. Surreal.

I apologized for being speechless, and she said that she hadn't quite gotten used to it yet, either, although she's happy she's in remission. She hugged me and I didn't ask for her number or email or anything. Just shock.

I shook my head the whole way out, feeling really out of touch with reality, hoping it doesn't happen to me. She was too skinny.

No comments:

Post a Comment